His Excellency the Governor, Nigel Dakin, chaired the 13th meeting of Cabinet on Wednesday 2 June 2021 at the Office of the Premier on Providenciales.
All members were present.
At this meeting Cabinet:
Was given an update by the Ministry of Health on the measures being taken to address and mitigate against the threat of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) to the country, including:
a) Positive cases and profiles of those infected, in particular on South Caicos,
b) The instillation of the oxygen generators at the Cockburn Town Medical Centre on Grand Turk and at the Cheshire Hall Medical Center on Providenciales,
c) Progress with the vaccination programme incl. registration of 12-15 year-olds and the delivery of the 4th batch of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and
d) The TCIG’s engagement with the CDC and the UK on their respective level 3 and amber ratings of the TCI.
· Approved for an in-country consultant from the Pan American Health Organisation (PAHO) to coordinate the implementation of the Turks and Caicos 2020-2021 Biennial Work Plan for six months with effect from June 2021.
· Was updated on the TCI Assured pre-travel authorization portal, discussed issues and challenges with the same, and agreed the next steps surrounding the management of the tourism, immigration, and health arrival information.
· Was updated on the Department of Agriculture Initiatives, in particular, pathways towards implementing the Government’s 200-day Agenda plan and approved the proposed spend for agricultural development.
· Was informed of the financial performance of the Turks and Caicos Islands Government for the period January to March 2021 and approved the publication of the fourth Quarter Financial Report.
· Approved a business licence application in a restricted business activity for Grow TCI, subject to specific restrictions.
· Approved a paper covering “Positive Behaviour Policy” for the education sector designed to guide disciplinary management in schools, and amendments to the Education Ordinance to bring into force a National Code of Conduct / Professional Ethic for the Teaching Profession in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
· Approved the relocation of the Domestic Fire Services, from its current location at Central Storage, Providenciales to Mr. Albert Musgrove Building, South Dock Road, Providenciales for a period of (3) three years.
· Approved Planning Application PR 15234 for an outline Development Permission by Emerald Point and Pelican Ownership Group for coastal stabilization and the construction of groynes.
· Approved the entering into a sales agreement, subject to budget approval and a structural assessment, for the procurement of a property in block 60713) for the establishment of a National Hospitality Training Institute on Providenciales.
· Approved the purchase and stamp duty relief of land by the Financial Services Commission to be used for additional parking space.
· Clarified their approval of the appointment of Kenya Forbes-Jagger as Employer Representative (Member) of the Labour Tribunal with effect from 27 May 2021 until 31 March 2023.
· Confirmed their approval of amendments to the Public and Environmental Health (Covid-19) (Control Measures) (Amendment) (No.6) Regulations 2021 in order to facilitate the hosting of the JAGS Day Ceremony in honour of the country’s first and only named National Hero.
· Confirmed their approval of an exemption request to lift the curfew requirements of the Public and Environmental Health Regulations to facilitate destination weddings. Members also discussed policies going forward to accommodate future requests.
· Approved a settlement agreement between the Turks and Caicos Government and British Caribbean Bank related to property around Juniper Hole, Middle Caicos.
Was updated on issues related to the Premier and Ministries of:
3) Finance and