His Excellency the Governor, Nigel Dakin, chaired the 34th meeting of Cabinet on Monday 19 December 2022 at the Premier’s Office on Providenciales.
All Members were present. At this meeting Cabinet:
· Approved an extension to the Covid-19 Arriving Passengers Health Clearance Regulations until 31 March 2023, requiring visitors entering the Turks and Caicos Islands to be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus. Members also agreed on next steps.
· Noted and approved recommendations of the 10th Actuarial Review of the Turks & Caicos Islands National Insurance Board. Members also approved amendments to the National Insurance Ordinance and Regulations to reflect these.
· Noted a report on a draft National Employment Policy and Human Capital Development Plan and a proposed strategy for its implementation over a 5-year period.
· Approved the appointment of Pekiera Brooks and Ladonna Bassett as Members of the Sports Commission Board for a period of two years with effect from 1 January 2023.
· Discussed a draft points-based merit system as criterion for the granting of Turks and Caicos Islander Status and agreed next steps.
·Noted recommendations for the establishment of a National Minimum Wage index for the Turks and Caicos Islands and, in parallel, approved the implementation of social support strategies covering a school nutrition program across all public schools, a national child day care program and after-school programs in all schools.
· Approved a Hurricane Fiona Relief Policy for dwellings significantly impacted by the recent storm, and agreed human and financial resources to support the operationalisation of the relief programme.
·Approved changes to the process for the granting of Business Licences under restricted categories ensuring a more streamlined process going forwards.
Was updated on the progress of projects being delivered by the Premier’s Delivery Unit.
·Noted a court ruling for a final settlement on a case against the TCI Government and approved a payment from the Claims against Government Account.